One of the first acts by the Old Girls was their instrumental role in setting up the School magazine in 1913. Myola means ‘meeting place’ and is still produced annually by current students.
Originally the Sisters took a leading and active role in running the Association with Sister Vera (President), Sister Rosalie (Vice President) and Sister Bessie (Secretary), the first office bearers.
Gradually Old Girls took over all positions except that of President, and when the Sisters left Perth College at the end of 1968, the first secular President of the Old Girls’ Association, Dorothy Talbot (1918 Leaver), was elected in 1969.
In her role as President, Dorothy decided the Association needed better communication with its members. Marjorie (Williams) Scurlock (1931 Leaver) consulted a list of aboriginal words and found ‘myalla’ meaning ‘big talk’. Marjorie then became the first Editor of Myalla, the Old Girls’ magazine, which remains in production.
Historically, the Old Girls’ Association has been heavily involved in fundraising to help provide for the School and also for the soldiers during wartime. Funds were raised through functions such as soldiers’ gift evenings, trench comfort afternoons, cocktail parties, sherry parties, regular dances, Christmas parties, river trips and presentation balls.
The OGA has donated a number of items to the School including the Robert Juniper-designed window above the altar in the Chapel and for the centenary of the School in 2002, it contributed towards the beautiful sculpture on the Chapel lawn.
Members also raised a fund for the endowment of the Sister Vera Scholarship for daughters of Old Girls. This later became the Old Girls’ Association Sisters’ Memorial Bursary for daughters and granddaughters of Old Girls, which is awarded every year.