Perth College is one of the many schools founded worldwide by the Community of the Sisters of the Church, an Anglican religious order founded in 1870 by Emily Ayckbowm. The School was established in St Mary’s Hall in Colin Street West Perth in 1902 with 32 girls. The demand for the introduction of boarding students increased and as a result, ‘Hawkesbury’ situated near Kings Park was opened in 1903. Due to the development of ‘Hawkesbury’ for boarders and ‘Cowandilla’ for the junior students together with the amalgamation of other subsidiary schools under the control of the Sisters, 1916 saw the move to the current site in Mt Lawley. Enrolments increased and the building programme flourished. Feeling their work was done and by adhering to the motto Pro Ecclesia Dei - For The Church of God, in 1968 the Sisters handed over the School to the Anglican Province of Western Australia.
The Sisters’ vision of the potential of women challenged the accepted ideas of the time and Perth College students were among the very first graduates of the University of Western Australia. Perth College Old Girls have pioneered new roles for women and have made significant contributions to the community through the generations.